Volvo Polestar Racing signs Gabriele Tarquini

Volvo ditjes en Volvo datjes.

Johann
Administrator
Administrator
Type auto: Volvo 850 SC

Volvo Polestar Racing signs Gabriele Tarquini

Post by Johann »

Multiple touring car champion Gabriele Tarquini has signed for Volvo Polestar Racing, replacing James Thompson.
"I really look forward to this. I have raced closely against Volvo Polestar and the C30 in the WTCC this year so I know I am joining a highly professional team with a very good car and serious ambitions," said Tarquini.

Tarquini is going to join the team in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship race at Karlskoga next weekend, driving the team's second Volvo C30 alongside Tommy Rustad.

"Tarquini will drive the two races at Karlskoga and Jyllandsringen, the two worst tracks for front wheel drive cars on the calendar and where a top-five result is an achievement. On the other hand, these extreme circumstances are ideal to test how quick and well Tarquini and Volvo Polestar can align as a team, which is of obvious interest as our motorsport program may evolve," said Derek Crabb, Executive Director for Motorsport at Volvo Cars.

The Italian has never before raced at either Karlskoga or Jyllandsringen, but is nonetheless looking forward to the challenge.

"Also, I have raced most types of racing cars and for several different brands in many different international and national championships, but both Volvo and the STCC will be two firsts for me. I am very excited," said Tarquini.

The contract with Tarquini is reported to be a part of Volvo's preparation for a full programme in the FIA World Touring Car Championship 2012. The goal for Tarquini in the two coming STCC races is to score points for the team in the teams championship.

"We are very happy to have Tarquini on board. Regardless of his previous track record from F1 to titles both in BTCC, ETCC and WTCC, what has impressed us equally is how good of a job he is doing in the WTCC this year. We look forward to apply his talent in STCC now and hope he will be able to score important points for us in the STCC team championship," said Christian Dahl, Managing Director of Volvo Polestar Racing.

The team has not stated the identity of the driver for the two final STCC races of the year at Knutstorp and Mantorp Park.

By Johan Meissner : TouringCarTimes