Pole position and top-six Gold Coast finish for Volvo Polestar Racing

Volvo ditjes en Volvo datjes.

Emiel
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Type auto: S60

Pole position and top-six Gold Coast finish for Volvo Polestar Racing

Post by Emiel »

The Volvo Polestar Racing duo of Scott McLaughlin and Alexandre Prémat secured pole position and a top-six result in the Gold Coast 600 race weekend.
”Qualifying on pole is a big step in the right direction for us, our qualifying pace is back where it was last year,” said McLaughlin.

The first race of the weekend saw the duo starting second but unfortunately dropping eleven laps from fighting for the lead due to damage sustained from cutting the curbs too hard.

The duo fought once again for the race lead in the majority of the second race, but a safety car session towards the end of the race saw them dropping to sixth position due to a different fuel strategy.

”I am pretty gutted that our strategy wasn’t enough for a podium. We had a really fast car in the race. The car felt the same on both compounds, which is what we have been chasing all year,” said McLaughlin.

”The last safety car session destroyed our race, we were not saving fuel as the others. We had the pace for a podium and a new surfboard, but we need to see what went wrong and work on that in order for it not to happen next year,” said Prémat.

The second Volvo Polestar Racing duo of David Wall and Chris Pither had a tough weekend with 16th position in the first race and a retirement in the second race. The retirement came due to damage sustained in an incident between Pither and Ant Pedersen in the beginning of the race, an incident Pedersen was penalised for.

”This has obviously not been the weekend we were hoping for. But that is racing sometimes, the car has been fast and I’m hoping our luck will change for the next race in New Zeeland,” said Wall.

”A pretty disappointing finish to the endurance cup. I felt pretty strong in the beginning of the race. Unfortunately the car in front didn’t realised that I was up the inside that resulted in contact, damaging the front left upright. I was hoping to bring home a strong result with David, but a big thanks to the team for a great effort,” said Pither.

The Gold Coast 600 race was the final endurance race of the 2015 V8 Supercars. The normal race format is back for the coming race weekend, the first of three remaining, with the ITM 500 Auckland in New Zeeland in two weeks time.

”We just didn’t have things on our side this weekend in terms of incidents and luck. But McLaughlin and Prémat once again showed really strong form, qualifying on pole and showing good pace on both tyre compounds. I’m looking forward to the coming race where hopefully we can be right in the victory fight again,” said Christian Dahl of Volvo Polestar Racing.

Gold Coast 600 – V8 Supercars
Circuit: Surfers Paradise Street Circuit
Length: 2980 m
Lap record (V8SC): 1:10.0851, Will Davison, 2011

Results
Race 27 – Top 5
1 James Courtney/Jack Perkins Holden Commodore 102 laps
2 Rick Kelly/David Russell Nissan Altima +1.9930
3 Garth Tander/Warren Luff Holden Commodore +5.6775
4 Craig Lowndes/Steven Richards Holden Commodore +11.2591
5 Shane Van Gisbergen/Jonathon Webb Holden Commodore +14.5234

6 Scott McLaughlin/Alexandre Prémat Volvo S60 +15.1428
DNF David Wall/Chris Pither Volvo S60

Race 26 – Top 5
1 Shane van Gisbergen/Jonathon Webb Holden Commodore 102 laps
2 David Reynolds/Dean Canto Ford Falcon +1.6096
3 Craig Lowndes/Steven Richards Holden Commodore +1.7620
4 Garth Tander/Warren Luff Holden Commodore +2.3185
5 James Courtney/Jack Perkins Holden Commodore +3.6033

16 David Wall/Chris Pither Volvo S60 +1 lap
21 Scott McLaughlin/Alexandre Prémat Volvo S60 +11 laps

Championship Standings – Top 5
1 Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon 2599 points
2 Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore 2341 (-258)
3 David Reynolds Ford Falcon 2281 (-318)
4 Garth Tander Holden Commodore 2141 (-458)
5 Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore 2096 (-503)

11 Scott McLaughlin Volvo S60 1578 (-1021)
24 David Wall Volvo S60 831 (-1768)
Rechterhand Opperbaas..